Wednesday 30 November 2016

Brexit, Trump, Freedom & Flexibility

Never let yourself become trapped by circumstance.

Without delving into the mechanics of the free market and laissez-faire economics, I would describe myself as a libertarian.

Libertarianism is a vague label, but one which has been seized by the political right. You know, the ones who say we can't allow gay people to get married because there's a chance churches won't be free to be homophobic.

I say let the churches be homophobic! But let gay people marry.

Whether I'd describe myself as left wing kind of depends upon where the centre lies. With Trump and May in power, it seems the world has shifted to the right. But more importantly, it has shifted toward authoritarianism and nationalism.

Whilst I could be trapped in America behind Trump's wall, being in Brexit Britain isn't much better.

Freedom of movement is as essential a right as any other freedom. Freedom of speech, of assembly, of religion: Buzzwords of the Trumpets.

But why can't we have the right to move and travel and live and work where we please? America remains a bastion of freedom. As does Europe. But these freedoms are crumbling before our eyes.

Through fear of authoritarian, terrorist, theocratic, Islamic jihadists, we are allowing our liberty to be eroded.

I mentioned in a previous post that my job will only last one more month. Furthermore, the contract on my flat is only good for another three months.

Some people dread this kind of instability. I relish in it.

"Because a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep. doesn't deserve the both of them and neither shall he keep."

No comments:

Post a Comment