Tuesday 29 November 2016

Philosophy Degrees: What are they good for?

I have recently graduated with a degree in philosophy. Naturally, my first step after graduation was to jump straight into unemployment.

Actually the truth is very different. Yes, I was unemployed for a few months. But I entered the "real world" (I hate that term) with a clarity of thought.

My idea of life was very well formed. With years of utilitarian and wellbeing study under my belt, I knew the true purpose of life was to be happy.

This seems kind of obvious, if over simplified. But if there is one thing about which I am certain, it is this.

What happiness is, is a different question. However, an easier and more useful question is: what makes us happy?

As an empiricist, I have read a mountain of studies which can answer this question. I do not have to go out and do my own research.

What makes me happy? Good quality relationships, high levels of health and a sense of purpose.

What makes me unhappy? Stress. Among other things. But stress was the key component of unhappiness that I sought to avoid.

So, following university, I went travelling to Peru and Bolivia, where the most stressful encounter is being spat at by an alpaca. Here I thought long and hard about my next steps, whilst trying with moderate success to live in the present.

I decided that when I arrived back in England, I'd rent a home in Sheffield. With only one month's rent money in the bank, I had 30 days to find employment.

After 29 days, not only did I have a job, I had a job that I loved. The pay was high, the environment was relaxed and my colleagues were friendly. Was I lucky? Sure. But the job I chose was for three months only, so I always knew I didn't have to stick around if it hadn't been right for me.

In the long term, I'd like to be a writer. I want to maintain a life that is as free from stress as possible, yet is passionate, engaging, productive and beneficial to others.

Philosophy: what is it good for?

Well, it gave my existence a point and my life a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment